Monday, June 29, 2009

What do you take for granted?

I know we have all heard the message a million times, but one more time will never hurt. We all know that we cannot serve both God and Money, but what are we willing to give up in order to follow Him. Or better yet, what else is it that we need to give up in order to follow Him. During ch'rch this past weekend, we all listened to a message about surrendering everything in order to gain discipleship. Are there sacrifices that we need to make, yes. But, the payoff is so much better!

Over the past year, I have really been focusing on trying to not take things or people for granted. I honestly believe that in the lifestyle and society we live within, it is very difficult to not take things for granted. During preparation and pr'yer for this trip I am on, I have constantly asked Him what else I need to sacrifice in order to fully surrender to His will. I have always been a person who enjoys schedules and routine, to know that I have control over certain situations, but in truth, I have none. Daily I have to surrender everything to Him and remember that I do not have any control.

Even though I have only been in K'stan a short amount of time, so far, I already have a new appreciation for things I previously have taken for granted. These are things and people that I hope to never take for granted again: reliable electricity 24 hours a day, clean/safe water to drink and use at will, having family and friends close by, having freedom to serve Him, being able to communicate easily and effectively to others around me, and many others. I realize that sometimes I feel as if I am "sacrificing" my summer this year, but in reality I am gaining so much more that I could ever imagine. I challenge all my friends and family to think about the things you take for granted and remember how bl'ssed you are to have them all. Please continue to pr'y for the team here that we will be effective teachers and mentors to the Kurdish people.

No comments:

Post a Comment